The 2019 Holy Spirit Novena, “Now More Than Ever, Come Holy Spirit, Come,” will be held May 31-June 8 at St. John of the Cross, 61030 Brier Lake Drive, Lacombe.
Each evening, there will be praise and worship along with reconciliation at 6:30 p.m., and Mass celebrated at 7 p.m.
“God has sent us all that we need to be uplifted, reassured, healed, comforted and guided by His Holy Spirit,” said St. John of the Cross Deacon Ricky Suprean.
Celebrants and performers each night include:
• May 31: Celebrant, Father Sidney Speaks, parochial vicar of St. Matthew the Apostle. Musicians, Jamie Diliberto and Tongues of Fire. There will be a coffee shop at the community center following Mass.
• June 1: Celebrant and homilist, Father Gil Martin, pastor of St. John of the Cross. Song and praise led by Emily and Christian Strickland.
• June 2: Celebrant, Oblate Father Tony Rigoli, pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, with the Our Lady of Guadalupe Choir.
• June 3: Celebrant, Archbishop Gregory Aymond. Vince Vicidomina and the St. John of the Cross Choir will lead the singing.
“Archbishop Aymond will reassure us that the cleansing and purification of the Catholic Church is being led by the Holy Spirit,” Deacon Suprean said.
• June 4: Celebrant, Father Herb Kiff, Mater Dolorosa pastor. Local Christian songwriter and recording artist John Finch will lead praise and worship. A coffee shop follows Mass, aimed at young adults and teenagers.
• June 5: Celebrant, Father Alex Guzman, parochial vicar at St. Margaret Mary Parish in Slidell. Colin MacIver will lead praise and worship.
• June 6: Celebrant, Father Chris Zavackis, who grew up in St. Margaret Mary Parish and is now assigned to Our Lady of the Lake in Mandeville. His “down-home approach will help us to find comfort and peace,” Deacon Suprean said. Donna Guidry and the Sacred Heart Choir will lead in song.
• June 7: Celebrant for a healing Mass and service will be Father Robert-Joel Cruz. Music will be offered by Thomas Schneideau, Melanie St. Cyr, Tiffany Brewer and Matt Bauer.
• June 8: Father Martin will close the novena as the main celebrant, with Deacon Suprean as homilist. Praise and worship will be provided by Jamie Hood along with the St. John of the Cross Youth Choir.
“We have experienced the generosity of the Holy Spirit the past two years at St. John of the Cross,” Deacon Suprean said. “So many miracles have occurred, and so many prayers have been answered.
“Rest assured, the Holy Spirit will lead us closer to our heavenly Father and our Lord and savior Jesus Christ, and that is why this Holy Spirit novena is such an important event.”