When Lou Brownson took over as the head coach of all Holy Cross sports in 1942, he wanted to strengthen his football players by placing them in a wrestling program.
He called upon Brother Melchior Polowy, a religion teacher, to run the program when Brownson discovered the brother had wrestled in his home country of Poland.
Under Brother Melchior’s tutelage, the Tigers won 22 state championships between 1945-68. The state championship trophy bears his name.
To date, the school has won 27 state titles and its wrestling facility is adorned with a Wall of Champions engraved with the names of 238 individual state title holders.